Friday, March 22, 2013

Grandparenting With Grace: Living in obedience

Over the past few years God has truly been teaching me contentment in where I am. If you are like me, we plan out our future as if we own it. We leave little space for God to work, and when He shows up, derailing our plans, we become angry. I used to jokingly say that I wished God would send me a postcard specifically telling me what He wanted me to do in a particular situation. Well I believe I was quite foolish to say that. For indeed He has written down what I am to do. As a matter of fact He has given me an entire book. What is a measly postcard compared to His Holy Word? Besides, with my track record, I doubt a postcard would have made much of a difference.

While it is true I am unable to just go do what I want to do, when I want to do it- I am blessed beyond measure with the love and trust of a precious little person. I believe with every fiber of my being that God has a special and wonderful plan for this child's life. (“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” Jeremiah 29:11, NIV). He will use her mightily for His good purpose and Glory. She amazes me daily with her quickness of mind, and tenderness of spirit. I am determined to cover her in prayer and bow down before my Father God to obediently and gently hold the clay that He, the Master Potter, is shaping and forming right before my eyes to be His masterpiece. ("O LORD, you are our Father; and we are clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hands." Isaiah 64:8, ISV) This love I feel within my heart for this child is indescribable. And if I love this deeply, wow-God You are amazing in your love.

Beyond the tiring days, the running for PT and OT, preschool, doctor and dentist appointments, extra laundry and the clutter of toys everywhere, the demand for the dressing of dolls, stuffed animal picnics, the rescue from 20' up a tree, the temper tantrums, etc., there is my pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. The promises of God fulfilled for one's obedience. For today is not the end of all things, there is tomorrow-and if not tomorrow there is eternity. I am made for eternity. ("So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18, NIV ) Until then I will worship and honor my God. I will give thanksgiving for His blessings, trust in His goodness when I do not understand, and love; Oh will I love.

1 Samuel 15:22- 23, NIV
". . . Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the Lord?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
For rebellion is like the sin of divination,
and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
he has rejected you . . .”

No comments:

Post a Comment