Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Grandparenting with Grace: Outsmarted by a two-year-old



Thursday, August 4, 2011
I hired a teenager, very responsible, intelligent(4.0 gpa), likable, creative, etc., and when I walked in the door after working today at nap time I just had to laugh.  Sweetykins is still awake yelling from the crib, "I need my blankie, I dropped my nuk (it's across the room on the floor), I have to go potty (we are in the throes of potty training, like the 3rd day), I need my aminals (I did spell this right)!!" I looked at the sitter and said, "Don't worry, she's just smarter than you..she's smarter than me too." So sweety said goodbye to the sitter and grandmama proceeds to tuck her in for her nappy.  Of course she begins the process of nap avoidance all over again, forgetting who she is dealing with this time.  We get a drink, try to go potty and find the nuk. The aminals are all safely tucked in and we have read a story, my bases are covered.  Now she tries the, I'm not tired, I don't want to take a nap." I tell her granmama is tired and she has a choice, she can cry and be unhappy, making life miserable for herself, or, she can take a nap and when she wakes up we can do something fun like a bike ride or a walk."  Yes I talk to a 2 1/2 year old like this...because she is so very quick minded and smart. 

 God has given her a sharp mind and high intelligence, I can only pray I am up to the task to guide and direct this God given gift in a way that will honor and glorify Him.  I know in the end the decisions and choices will be hers to make, we all must set our sails into the winds of choice sooner or later. My calling is to help her develop her mind and her character in the right direction, something I can only do with the Lord's help.    "Train a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) This can be a hard task for we parents are also warned, ". . . do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." (Ephesians 6:4) We are to break the will without breaking the spirit, its a bit like horse training. It is unnecessary to use the sharp spurs when just a little pressure will do. We laugh now when she is two, hopefully we can teach her to respect our authority and honor our love for her so as she matures we can continue on this journey of life as partners and not combatants. Only by the grace of God go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment